Accomplished editor/writer, with demonstrated capacity for editing and writing technical and scientific materials. Experienced and skilled at all levels of editing, including substantive/content editing, copy-editing, line editing, proofreading, and layout editing. Adept at managing editing and communications processes. Detail-focused and experienced with orchestrating projects, managing project priorities, and achieving targeted performance objectives.
- Editing/Writing, Copy-editing, Proofreading, Project Coordination, Publication Layout
- Knowledge of Associated Press, American Medical Association, and Chicago Manual of Style Stylebooks
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Mac & PC Platforms, WordPress/CMS, html, Adobe InCopy/InDesign
THAT WORD GRRL EDITING SERVICES, Long Beach, Calif. 2011 – Present
- Executing ongoing editing projects for a high-volume editing service, and refining/enhancing eight to 10 articles and STEM/academic papers per month, ranging from 5,000 to 30,000 words.
- Edited and grammar checked 9,000-word article for a medical research client, recommended substantive changes, and assured grammatical clarity and integrity.
INSTITUTE FOR HEALTHCARE ADVANCEMENT, La Habra, Calif. 2010 – 2011
Public Relations/Marketing Coordinator
- Led public relations initiative, established multi-news media contacts, strategized, designed, and wrote press releases and collateral marketing materials, and publicized organizational vision and mission.
- Championed, introduced, and leveraged social media models including Twitter and Facebook, and increased organizational public presence and community awareness.
- Coordinated annual conference speaker schedules and presentations, formatted, organized, produced, and distributed meeting materials, and assured seamless event execution.
- Successfully applied for and secured Continuing Medical Education accreditation, assured compliance with State of California training requirements, and facilitated participant CEU fulfillment.
MPA MEDIA, Santa Ana, Calif. 2006 – 2010
- Managed the creation, development, and publication layout of editorial content for a monthly B2B tabloid entitled Acupuncture Today with a circulation of 45,000. (www.acupuncturetoday.com)
- Researched and reviewed alternative health publications, consulted with subject matter experts, and secured author content contributions.
- Selected publication authors, and wrote, organized, and created a monthly B2B buyers guide for nationwide chiropractors. (www.dcpracticeinsights.com)
- Provided ongoing editing support for four alternative health care publications, and optimized publication clarity, accuracy, and messaging integrity.
- Conceived and wrote compelling and relevant website content and improved the online user experience.
CME LLC, Irvine, Calif. 1999 – 2006
Associate Editor, Psychiatric Times
- Identified and recruited psychiatrist author contributions, wrote field articles and research summaries, and managed editorial content for a monthly clinical tabloid with a circulation of 65,000. (www.psychiatrictimes.com)
- Wrote, edited, and published articles for CME accreditation.
UCLA MEDICAL CENTER, Los Angeles 1997 – 1999
Administrative Assistant, Department of Anesthesiology
- Provided administrative support for the Department of Biological Chemistry Chairman, coordinated schedules and itineraries, and provided quality service to students, professors, and interdepartmental personnel.
- Wrote, edited, and distributed correspondence, e-mails, and interdepartmental communications.
- Edited and processed grant applications and facilitated a successful research-funding process.
BUSINESS WIRE, Los Angeles 1996 – 1997
- Interfaced with clients, detailed press release distribution preferences, and edited and disseminated press releases to numerous media outlets, publications, and wire services.
HUMAN FACTORS & ERGONOMICS SOCIETY, Santa Monica, Calif. 1995 – 1996
- Coordinated editor, author, and reviewer production schedules, and facilitated timely publication and distribution of monthly trade journal.
- Designed, wrote, and produced compelling and audience-specific marketing and public relations materials and optimized publication quality and consistency.
OBSTETRICS & GYNECOLOGY MEDICAL JOURNAL, Los Angeles 1988 – 1995
- Communicated with authors, peer reviewers, and associates, reviewed, selected, and edited medical submissions, and assured the timely delivery of quality content for a scientific medical journal.
- Developed, updated, and managed large medical content databases, and optimized pipeline material content and accessibility.
- Bridged editorial office, ad agency, and publisher communications, and facilitated a highly efficient publication process.
- Attended and represented organization at educational conferences, and improved public perception and awareness.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND COURSES
- American Medical Writers Association, Member
- Council of Science Editors, Member
- Society for Technical Communication, Member
- Technical Communication 101 – Course offered by the Society for Technical Communication
EDUCATION: SCRIPPS COLLEGE, Claremont, Calif.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, History